I’ve grown quite fond of chicken mince! It is so versatile and so cheap. It gives you the ability to buy good quality free range, preservative, additive and hormone free meat and it doesn’t break the bank. So I’m trialling and perfecting a range of meals with chicken mince as the star. These easy chicken and veggie patties are the first to feature and were a hit!
I bulk them up with vegetables which makes a bigger meal with leftovers but also gets more veggies into our diets. They are ridiculously simple to make! Cooking style is versatile too – either pan fry, throw them in the oven so you don’t have to stand and cook, or even better, give them to somebody else to cook on the BBQ!
My children love to have these cold in their lunch boxes, which sure beats making sandwiches!
- 500g chicken mince
- 180g grated haloumi
- 1 egg
- 2 grated zucchini
- 3/4 cup of breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 – 2cm grated ginger
- Salt & pepper
- Any other veggies you have on hand. I often use carrots and peas too.
- Grate zucchini. Squeeze grated zucchini in hands to get rid of excess moisture before putting in large bowl.
- Grate haloumi and add to bowl.
- Slightly beat egg in a small bowl then add to mixture.
- Add remaining ingredients
- Mix well with hands
- Form patties (or meatballs if you prefer) and place on plate or baking tray.
- Pan fry on medium-low heat for approximately 4 – 5 minutes each side. Remove from pan on a plate lined with paper towel.
- Place on a baking tray in oven on 180 degrees celsius and cook for 15 minutes each side.
- Heat BBQ to medium/medium low, spray with oil and cook for approx 4 mins each side.
Enjoy! x Karina